Friday, April 26, 2013

Lego Cake

I came across edible lego cakes (as opposed to cakes built from real lego) in 2011  and knew I had to make one for Saree's next birthday as she openly admits the lego she buys her children is a gift to herself foremost ;) I made two different sized rectangular cakes, cut them up into as even portions as I could manage without using a leveler ;) Gave them a "crumb coat" which I learned from this video and stuck them in the fridge. After the cakes cooled in the fridge, I made blue, yellow and red butter cream icing, iced the cakes, iced the marshmellows and stuck them into the cakes using tooth picks.


I love the concept of lego cake, but I wasn't entirely happy with the end result. I hate smoothing icing. I suck at it and all I can think when I look at the pictures of this cake is how much more work it needed to look the way I wanted it to. I finished the cake about an hour, hour and a half before we had to go to Saree's for dinner, and I spent that hour/hour and a half touching up, I could not stop!


Saree was pleased with her lego cake. My eldest was inspired to create a lego cake of her own (sort of, lol):


But unlike me, she was pleased with her end result. I could learn a lot from this kid!

I think if I try the lego cake again, I'll see how much smoother I can get it with fondant instead of butter cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment