Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spaceship Cake

This spaceship cake, in honour of our eldests' 4th birthday, had been a long time coming. In fact, the day after her 3rd birthday she informed me that in 365 days, she'd be having a spaceship cake at a "picnic, wif fwenz". Throughout 2011 she would sit with me and demand we google for spaceship cake images and tell me which designs she liked and which weren't up to scratch, lol. 

In the end we chose this cake to model our own design on. This was the first big cake I've decorated with fondant. I got two new cake pans for the project: an octagon and a set of two half-spheres which when stuck together make ball shaped cakes. I used one sphere to make the dome of the spaceship. I covered the cakes in a thin layer of butter cream to act as an adhesive for the fondant. And I cheated by buying already-coloured fondant in black so I didn't have to colour it myself (which takes forever!)




After applying the black fondant, I used black dyed butter cream to stick MnMs to the cakes, to make the appearance of multicoloured lights on our spaceship. I also added some lines of black butter cream to give the ships definition. The birthday girl was so taken with the brain slug cakes I made the previous year for Huz, talking about them often, so I decided to make some of the slug aliens to go with her spaceships, I think they really finished the cakes off nicely:

Cake 1 - afternoon party Photo by India Dechrai
1 cake for her picnic, the other for after dinner with friends & family at work during the day
cake 2 - dinner party
I even attached brake lights, a different colour from the rest of the lights #nerdalert.
 
When it came to cake time at her picnic, we couldn't light the candles due to the wind, so she happily pretended to blow her candles out :) She was DE-lighted to get her hands on a fondant brain slug again:

photos by India Dechrai
 And we did it all again after dinner that night with our friends and family who couldn't make the picnic because it was during business hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment