Thursday, April 25, 2013

Naming Day Invitations & Cakes

About three months after our children are born, Huz and I host a naming day (for want of a name for the day lol). Shortly after their births' I send out hand made invitations to the naming days, featuring a melt-in-your-mouth image of our newborn. For our eldest I had a ton of this adorable black and pink paper:


For our second, I went with blue and brown (which I've always adored together). I was really drawn to blue when I was pregnant with her, and I've never really loved the colour beforehand. It's always been one of "her colours".


I hope we manage to get a photo as adorable as these two, for baby 3's naming day invites in a few months time!

On the day I make personalised cakes for our guests. Our eldest's naming day came before I'd tried my hand at cake decorating (I didn't even know how to make icing back then! I had help from a friend writing my baby's name on these cupcakes, lol):

photo by Laura Baker
Our family on edlest's naming day, photo by Laura Baker

By the time we had our second child's naming day, I'd had a few years of cake decorating under my belt. I bought a set of alphabet cake pans. I said to Huz "They're such great value! I can use them to spell anything in cake in English, French, Spanish, German and Indonesian" ;) I used the pans to spell out her first name in cake. Originally I planned to have her first and second name, but it ended up being quite a bit of cake, just having her first name there! Each pan in about the size of a hand.


After cooking the cakes and letting them cook, I covered them in white chocolate ganache to use as an adhesive for fusing fondant to cake. It tasted amazing, and it didn't ooze when pressed, like butter cream, and was thinner than butter cream, which I liked. But it wasn't as good at sticking as butter cream.

I spent an exorbitantly long time rolling out the fondant and making sure the blue food dye spread evenly (while I dyed the fondant myself, I did not make it, I bought it from my local cake guy). Then I divided it (1.5kgs of sticky, dense fondant) into seven evenly sized balls

This was my first attempt at covering cakes in fondant and it was quite tricky because of all the nooks and crannies each letter had. When I finished, they looked a little plain so I added a border of white butter cream stars, to give it a finishing touch.

And the only photo of our family all together on that day, lol:

I'll definitely use the alphabet cake pans to create the soon-to-be-born babe's name in cake, but will use different coloured fondant, butter cream for adhesive and not too sure about borders or other embellishments, you'll just have to wait and see ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment